Bobs Discount Furniture - Bob's Goof Proof Scam

I have been a Bob's customer for several years and have spent nearly $10,000 furnishing my homes. I have almost always purchased the goof proof plan for peace of mind. One time I had to call them up and file a claim on a dresser I bought because it got scratched, they did a less than satisfactoy job at making the repair, but that is another story.

Recently I was at the Bob's Discount furniture store in Stoughton, MA looking at buying a new sofa. I was hesitant because I have a 1 year old black lab and didn't want to have the new furniture ruined, we were looking to purchase leather. Talking to Diane, the sales woman, my wife and I told her about the puppy and our concerns. At that time, we were handed a pamphlet that had a big check mark showing that goof proof covered rips, tears, cuts, burns, & punctures (no asterix next to it or fine print). We asked specifically if pet damages were covered, the sales woman told us YES, and did not go into any further detail. Since we THOUGHT we were covered, we bought the furniture along with the goof proof plan.

Fast forward to today...several months have gone by and last week my lab tore a hole in the back cushion of the sofa. I called to file a claim and have it repaired. While on the phone with the claim office, they told me that this damage is pet related and was not covered. I said, "Yes it is, I have the pamphlet right here and it says rips, tears, etc is covered!" Her reply was, "Well do you have the other paperwork handy?" I did, and she directed me to the fine print 3/4 the way down the sheet that excludes damage from pets...I was furious.

I am victim of Bob's Discount Furniture! I called the saleswoman and she insisted that she told my wife and I that pet damages were not covered. However, we both recall the conversation vividly since this was our main concern buying new furniture. Diane, our saleswoman, was useless...so I asked to speak with her manager, Oscar. Oscar was cordial at first, but it was clear he wasn't going to go out of his way to assist. He said he would reach out to customer care and see what they could do. By the way, it was very reassuring (starcasm) to hear him say right off the bat, "I will see what I can do IF ANYTHING AT ALL.." That's not a very good way to keep a customer happy. I reiterated that I have spent alot of money at Bob's Furniture over the years. Well, one, two, three, four days go by and I hear NOTHING back from Oscar, the Stoughton, MA store manager. I called the store and finally get him on the phone. He says, "Oh yea, I remember you called last week, let me see if they (customer care) ever responded to my e-mail." Long in short is he said they responded and are not willing to assist in any way. I felt like I got absolutely hosed by Bob's Furniture...all of this business I have given them and the money I spent there and that was the way I was treated.

I am confident that the fine print was never brought up by Diane our saleswoman, and furious at the way I have been treated. I will NEVER shop at another Bob's Furniture again, that is for certain.

TO ALL - BEWARE OF THEIR FINE PRINT AND SCHEMES!!! THEY ARE CROOKS!

12a25b02 review #260564
16 41 Helpful?
Had the same issue16 Comments42
Had an experience with Bobs Discount Furniture?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login

Apr 02 #967172 Framingham, Massachusetts

Yes that's what happened to me. I advise others to not waste money on goof protection plan it hardly covers anything. Initially they will tell you that everything is covered which is a bIG lie.

CC

Oct 28, 2014 #891888 Elmont, New York

Bob's goof proof protection warranty is certainly a big scam. I have the same problem. The sales person made it sounds so easy when I purchased it. My grand kids were playing in my bedroom and made a mess on my vanity and bed. The spilled nail polish remover on more than one places and the paint was ruined. I called Gurardian and they refused to cover the damage because they said that the warranty doesn't apply to damage done on more than one incidence. I pleaded with them and told them that this damage was done when my grand kids came over to play one day. How can they tell they did not come to see the damage. They just ignore me. I guess it is money making thing. They will find something to tell you when you call. I will call better business bureau to see if they can do something to stop this fraud.

Oct 14, 2014 #884700

I have the same issue currently. I feel like I was totally misled by the Bob's salesman.

1 0 Reply
matt

Aug 17, 2014 #857589 Meriden, Connecticut

Im soooo mad at Bob's Discount Furniture not only am I in the process of starting a law suit against them I also started a facebook page called "Bob's Discount Furniture Sucks". Like my page so we can get the word out.

3 0 Reply
Ac

Jul 21, 2014 #843614 Holtsville, New York

The same thing happen to me. The guy told me if my dog or kids rip it it would be coverd. Bobs sucks

1 0 Reply
PISSED CUSTOMER

May 09, 2014 #813471

Bob's is a SCAM!!!!! We purchased the goof proof because the sales rep told us specifically it would cover damage from our cat. Now with a claim filed Guardian says no! My federal agent husband will be looking in to how to rectify their outright lie!!!!!!!!!!!

2 0 Reply
pissedcustomer

Feb 26 #951379

Did you have any updates on this then pls share.

0 0 Reply
Should read this post before b

Apr 23, 2014 #808249

I purchased a table from BOBs furniture. After few month, a part of paint came off from the table surface without any damage. I called BOBs, a guy came to house and asked me if I have goof proof plan. I told him I bought the goof plan. The guy immediately told me "you should call Guardian, and told them you had accident". I said "the paint came off by itself, there wasn't any accident." The guy shouted "Here is America, why you are so honest?". Very bad experience!

Like it is

Mar 31, 2014 #800687

The reason these sales people push so hard on these warranties is because they make a commission on every plan that someone purchases. They're sales people, they'll tell you anything you want to hear just to get you to buy it. Next time get everything they say in writing or write down what they said and get them to sign it. My bet is that they try to weasel out of it. Be sure to read your sales contract and cross out all that doesn't apply and make them initial it. Bet you'll hear a different tune in the end. Consumer beware is the name of the game.

0 1 Reply
kevin

Feb 11, 2014 #784390

This Goof Proof *** will be the death of Bob's in a few years. Trust me on this. Everyone I know refuses to shop at Bob's ever again because of how Guardian acted to them. Really *** move on Bob's part.

Cc1321

Feb 05, 2014 #782330 Mount Vernon, New York

We bought some a a leather loveseat and color is comin off I called and they told me is not covered this is *** cause when I purchase it they said it will covered cuts,rips from moving or anithing

deb18

Feb 03, 2014 #781683

i cracked the frame on my mirror in the process of moving it and apparently moving their pieces are "not covered under goof proof protection"...however if i spill a bottle of wine on my couch its covered..where is the logic here. i deeply regret buying anything from bobs.

Gramma4

Feb 02, 2014 #781160 Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

my daughter bought a bedroom set from Bob's moving the bed the headboard broke from the frame, she called for repair they sent a tech and he said because she moved the bed and it broke it wasn't covered..I was there so I said "write it up that it is covered or I get a lawyer, nothing stated consumer cannot mover their furniture around after purchase and delivery", tech then said your right and I will get it fixed for her...so what does this teach us...brush up on your lies to get covered what you paid for!!!!

Mary C

Jan 29, 2014 #779468

We recently filed a claim with Guardian for our couch and loveseat....both have broken frames after 3 years. Since we bought the goof proof thing, I assumed we were covered. Needless to say, they denied us. My husband immediately called Bob Cares...they apologized and have arranged for a replacement delivery. If Guardian denies you....don't rest there....call Bob's directly. Worth a shot!

hongkongfuey

Jan 30, 2014 #780265 Queens, New York

Form what I gathered talking to the Bob's service rep, the company is aware they may have made a bad choice with Guardian and is trying to distance themselves from the issues that are starting to arise. My phone rep was all but apologetic. She told me exactly under what circumstances they'd accept a claim and let me tell you those are some wild parameters.

cc

Mar 30, 2014 #800332 Holtsville, New York

yes, i was denied and bobs stepped in and replaced the whole table

vic

Jan 03, 2014 #768181 West Springfield, Massachusetts

I have a sofa set that needs to be replaced the seats are
Seeking in towards the back now i read all these comments
He is probably going to deny me as well this is wing i was told to about kids pets everything and anything would be covered
So so wrong for sites to be able to do this

hongkongfuey

Jan 30, 2014 #780268 Queens, New York

If they do deny you let me know before you throw out your sofa. I just might misbehave a little.

NOTGETTING SCREWED

Nov 28, 2013 #749349

WELL I HOPE THEY SCREW ME CAUSE I WILL DRIVE IT THROUGH THERE FRONT DOOR CANT WAIT :grin

1-20 of 42 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.