Newark, New Jersey

I remember looking for a new recliner at Bob's Discount Furniture and I am so glad I never bought anything from there after all the horror stories I have read and other stories I have heard in person.

I think a couple of things are important to keep in mind when shopping for new furniture. If it's a sofa or a chair, feel the material. If the material feels thin, it's going to wear down a lot quicker and probably get torn. If you are looking at a new recliner, test out the mechanism. If it feels flimsy, move onto another store.

I think there is another truth to keep in mind about furniture. It's been my observation that with furniture, you usually get what you pay for. That being said, if you come across a deal that seems too good to be true, it probably is. If the store is selling furniture for a disgustingly cheap price, question it because unless it's a special holiday discount sale, the quality will probably be a lot cheaper.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bobs Discount Furniture Recliner.

Comments

rasinger72

I hate to say this but Bob's Discount Furniture seems to be secondhand. When I tested out a recliner there, the material was thin and the mechanism was flimsy. Their furniture might appear to be nice but the quality of it is so shoddy. Be very skeptical of a discount furniture store that has so many annoying TV ads. One of my co-workers had bought a sofa from Bob's and it came apart in 6 months. Sure their furniture sells for rockbottom prices but there is no way a store like that is ever getting my business, period.

Don't get me wrong. I have a cheap bookcase from IKEA that has lasted a long time. I even have a pine wooden table from IKEA that has held up very well - knock on wood. lol...But when it comes to furniture that you will be sitting on or sleeping in, you definitely want something that's made well and that will last for years. I have never shopped for a mattress before but I wouldn't buy one from Bob's.

Go to one of the more reputable chain furniture stores where you might pay more but where you will more likely get your money's worth.

Craig - what you say is generally correct . However, that's not what Bob's appears to advertise.

They claim that it's the same quality furniture as what you would pay more for.

I'm checking all this out to help decide whether we want to go to Bob's to pick out a mattress. I have a co-worker who loves his, but based on the feedback on this site, I'm not so sure.

And thank you for pointing this fact out. If you expect to buy a $2,000 quality recliner, expect to pay $2,000 for it.

If you are coming to a discount store such as Bob's and many others here in New England, keep in mind that the products will hold up fine if you treat them well, but if you treat them like a towel rack and a wrestling ring, they will probably fall apart much faster than the high end furniture. Yes you get what you pay for, but you also get a years of good quality furniture if you treat it well, no matter how much you pay for it.