Bobs Discount Furniture - Bob's flaky and peeling "leather" sofas

874 of 1412 Bobs Discount Furniture reviews

So we bought a leather sofa from Bob's and of course we bought the goof proof warranty since they pushed it so hard.

4 years of minimal use later, and we suddenly notice that the "leather" on the sofa is flaking away. And I don't mean the usual weathering that leather gets, I mean thin little pieces of the sofa are peeling away and dropping off, in places that we don't normally sit - like the side of the cushion. By the way, the "leather" is apparently exceedingly thin, because after it flakes off, all that is left is some kind of mesh material. The flaking is now proceeding at an advanced rate.

Of course I call up Guardsman, send off all the paperwork they ask for and wait expectantly. In the meantime we try and Google this flaking and peeling, and start seeing people talking about "bonded" leather which apparently cheap leather that is resurfaced in a process similar to vinyl. And guess what bonded leather does as it degrades? .... if you guessed flaking and peeling, give yourself a big hand! FYI, I see that bonded leather is rated as some of the worst quality leather around. Not to mention the advanced rate at which it degrades.

By now we are sufficiently alarmed that we call Bob's direct, and we explain the problem to them. They send out a guy. He arrives promptly on the day, right on time too. Takes a 20 second look at the damage, shakes his head and tells us that he has a "pen" that he could try and use. but he doesn't think it will do any good. A pen?...really?.. to try and repair the huge swaths, with tons of little flaked off bits?

He departs, 10 minutes after he arrived, referring us back to head office.

So we call Bob's where they quite happily tell us that their couch is quality leather, not bonded leather (perish the thought!). We then ask them how a quality leather couch can start to flake and peel, after 4 years of minimal use. Their response is to tell us that we are beyond their 1 year warranty and they cant help us. Asked for a supervisor, got the I year warranty answer again.

Guardsman also calls back a day later... to tell us that they don't cover this kind of damage. On the plus side, the lady does thank me for calling Guardsman and wishes me a nice day.

So to sum up... what you're getting from Bob's is the cheapest quality of leather, that's not going to last you more than a couple of years. I highly recommend them if you are buying "leather" furniture that you're only going to need for a year. Beyond that, the stuff literally peels away, and you're on your own (although their repair guy may show up with his "pen"). As far as the "Goof Proof" warranty goes... god luck with that!

I understand that to some extent you get what you pay for, cheap goods for cheap prices... but lets be honest, it's not as though the couch was some bargain basement price of $99.99.... it wasn't exactly cheap, especially when you added in their wonderfully useful "Goof Proof" warranty.

Thanks Bob, you certainly do "care" about your customers!

I'll be looking to talk up my Bob's experience with as many people as I can.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 70 Yes 70
874 of 1412 Bobs Discount Furniture reviews
US

Feb 14 #1286876 Merrick, New York, United States

Same thing happen to us. We called them today. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of my call with them.

0 0 Reply

Nov 15, 2016 #1241318 Standish, Maine, United States

This sounds just like me. I bought a--so i thought--a genuine leather sofa. turns out its pleather! started peeling after 1 year. they told me 'can't help you'. I will never buy anything from this company ever again.

Watchdog

Sep 30, 2016 #1220961

File any complaints to the FTC. Www.ftc.gov this sounds like false advertising.

0 0 Reply
Mary

Mar 03, 2016 #1121453 Bronx, New York, United States

same issue here. Purchased Mercury sectional in red and it's flaky all over and Bob Stores states they are not responsible. Never again and I will make sure my experience will not be repeated by others. amazing...you work hard, save money and you encounter this... very sad of the outcome. Bronx, NY

Jan 31, 2016 #1103846

I am having the exact same problem. Flaking and peeling everywhere. I took a cushion with me and walked into my local Bob's on Columbus Day (big sales weekend) and they nearly ran me out of the store. The manager did take my number and called me that week saying he would try to help but in the end I was told there was nothing they could do. Good proof turned out to be a complete waste of money. My couch is 4 years old and my good proof plan was for 5 years but they said they only cover accidents and not normal wear and tear which is what they deemed to be my problem. I'll never buy from Bob's again.

Anon

Jan 27, 2016 #1101793

I'm having the same problem. My three seater couch is literally destroyed. It's absolutely disgusting to look at. We've only had this couch 2 years and it's beyond gross. The arm rests and the middle of the seats are all flaked off and leave some miscolored fabric. The flakes get EVERYWHERE. Currently looking into a sectional now because this is the WORST quality couch I have ever seen. Paid over 1000 for just the couch and loveseat. Will never buy from them again.

Jan 13, 2016 #1093743

This definately is true don't forget about the springs that fall out. Sad.

Jan 07, 2016 #1090157

I had the same experience. My couches are 3 years old and they look like I just picked them up on the side of the road. Bobs is a terrible company that misleads, and mistreats their customers. They have offered me a $700 credit to use on new furniture. I would of course have to add another $500 to repurchase the same crappy couch I bought 3 years ago! My next step is to tell them to take their $700 and spend it on customer service training classes and hiring a lawyer. It is despicable what they are allowed to get away with.

Dec 02, 2015 #1072677

I also purchased Bob' s furniture and have experienced the same peeling . I was told it was every day wear. Which would make sense if it wasn't in places where you don't sit and the furniture just made 4yrs If you buy Bob's furniture don't get goof proof its not needed because once it expires is when everything starts to fall apart.

Dec 01, 2015 #1071995

You all seem to have gotten lucky mine started flaking and peeling before the 2 ur mark! I also bought the the good proof.. Tell you what, I'm the one feeling like a good! Will never purchase from there again.

Nov 29, 2015 #1071263

I cannot explain our issue anything but in the exact words your mentioned so i will not repeat your words.
The "leather" cover is all crumbly and no one can assist.
We bought our bonded leather sofa from Bob's furniture in Woodbridge, NJ

Oct 10, 2015 #1046080

We also purchased from Bobs furniture Magnum Sofa it started peeling after 2 yrs of purchase, I highly recommend dont buy sofas from Bobs, all of them are fake

Aug 24, 2015 #1024259

Bought my black sofa and 2 ottomans from Bob's and after only 3 years of minimal use the leather is pealing and flaking in places where we don't even sit. Don't waste your money or time. Customer service is horrible. They should own up to their mistakes and give their customers their money back!!! Will never buy anything there again and told hundreds of people about my experience and They will not shop there either. Mission accomplished.

Aug 24, 2015 #1024186

Because of the cheap prices Bobs offered, I never believed that anything was 100% leather. So I made my best efforts to keep all "leather" hydrated. I ended up having my Bobs "leather" couch and loveseat last me for 6 years. Unfortunately mine have started to peel now. Part of me blames my lack of hydrating for months. But hey I think 6 years was a good run for the price. Moving on to real leather couches not this fake bonded crapola.

Aug 19, 2015 #1021750 Shelton, Connecticut, United States

I had same issue - sofa less than 2 yrs old - total *** and was not cheap - $2k so much for buying anything from them now on!!!

Jul 30, 2015 #1013958

I bought my set off sofas from bob's also after only a week they started to flake and peel waste of money

Feb 22, 2015 #949349 Acton, Massachusetts, United States

"Bonded leather" isn't real leather, any more than concrete is real granite. Bonded leather is plastic (vinyl or polyurethane) containing less than 20% ground-up leather scraps. "100% bonded leather everywhere you sit" is what Bob's annoying blonde bimbo recites on the annoying TV ads. What she says means 100% of the material on 20% of the sofa is a synthetic product with less than 20% ground scrap leather. In other words, the material of the sofa contains less than 5% ground scrap leather.
Saying 100% when it's less than 5% is one of Bob's phony gimmicks. He's full of phony gimmicks. If you want to replace your furniture every time the guarantee runs out, then buy the worst quality inferior furniture available. You'll find it at Bob's.

CTarna

Feb 09, 2015 #943154 Bronx, New York, United States

I agree wholeheartedly with review 254128. Same exact issue and handling from Bob's.

4 0 Reply
michelinha76

Aug 27, 2014 #862229

i just had the same issue my "leather Couch" bonded leather after 3 years is peeling away as well, and they told me it was a manufacture problem, so if it was, they should replace the couch at no cost. they are horrible i will never buy from them again!

5 0 Reply

1-20 of 44 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.