South Lancaster, Massachusetts

I am still in utter disbelief as to the absolute nightmare I went through last night to pick up furniture from Bob's store in Worcester Friday 8/14/09. Being well aware that pick from their warehouse is up to 8:00pm, I was running tight on time to get there and I made what turns out to be a mistake by calling the Worcester store at 7:20 to ask that if I arrived there before 8:00pm would I still be able to pick up my $1400 order.

I was transferred to the warehouse and spoke with the warehouse captain and explained that I was on my way in a rental truck and wanted to make sure that if I got there before 8:00 pm I could collect my order. I was told by the captain that at 8:00 on the "DOT" his Temporary workers punch out as they have buses to catch. My question to the captain was very simple, if I get there at 7:55 will I get my furniture loaded. It all went downhill from that point on. The Captain was not only rude and belligerent, but proceeded to tell me that I was threatening him because I stated that I would call the local store manager if the Captain could not answer my simple question rather than argue with me. After telling me I was on speaker phone and the manager was standing right there, he promptly hung up on me.

After being hung up on I called back to the store and spoke with the manager on duty Angelo who answered my question that yes if I was there before 8:00pm I would get my order.

I arrive at the warehouse at 7:55 and proceeded inside to the pickup area and rang the buzzer to alert the warehouse I was there. Through the glass window a worker stuck up the 1 minute finger indicating hold on. After a minute I again rang the buzzer and the worker came to the door and immediately got into my face on "why you have to ring the buzzer again". I asked if he was the warehouse captain ( which he was not ) and explained that I called ahead and wanted to make sure I was acknowledged as being there before 8:00 to pick up my order. The worker then stated and I quote "What's your problem man coming in here smelling like booze and getting in my face "

Now the warehouse captain comes up to the door and immediately starts accusing me of being disrespectful to him and his co-worker and he did not have to take it. I said I can't believe this and as a small business owner myself, I was appalled at his attitude towards customer service and I wanted to speak with the manager and I had no desire to talk with the captain any further. What I received was my paperwork literally thrown at me and the door slammed in my face.

I went back to my truck and called the store manager who said he would meet me at the loading area. While waiting for the manager the captain was having a cigarette at the loading area and proceeded to fire off a round of verbal insults. "You people with money are all alike" "You think you're better than us because you own your own business" "Look at you in your nice Polo shirt "…. The manager arrived and had to literally put his arm around the captain and take him into the building. As the manager was taking the captain into the building the captain turned to me and stated that "The only reason you are alive now is because the manager showed up "– I was shocked to say the least and in fact so upset by the threat that I pretented to make a call to the local police department asking for a escort out of the local area as I feared the warehouse staff would follow me when I left.

The manager got my furniture for me and it was loaded in my truck. As I was getting my papers for the pickup I asked the manager to confirm that in fact he heard the captain threaten my life. He said he did and then he started on the whole "you have to treat people with respect and you can't make demands….. I just walked away, got into my truck and thought to myself how can anyone stay in business (or earn customers) with this kind of treatment to people paying hard earned cash for merchandise.

And no I was not drunk or otherwise. In fact I had the rental truck because I had made a 48 hr ( little sleep ) road trip from NC to pick up my own customers order to make sure I had it to deliver to my customer in time Friday afternoon. What scares the living *** out of me is the fact that this "Captain" has my home address. Saving a few $$ on what now looks like Cheap ( and I mean cheap ) furniture was not worth it. Avoid Bob's at all cost.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bobs Discount Furniture Furniture Set.

Comments

haha i've seen people get jumped by warehouse workers at lowes for pulling stuff like that. after their 12 hour slave day someone wants them to work longer, yeah right.

I agree that what the employees did was a crime and worth getting fired. What you did was rude, selfish and thoughtless.

Showing up at 8:55 was wrong. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." All the captain had to say was "No, you won't be able to get your furniture."

With any luck this big mouth will threaten the wrong customer.If that *** threatens my life I will believe him and show him just how much I love life.

Your issue is with the labor board not a customer.

If it wasn't for customers you would have a great job.

The workers are not hired to abuse customers. This is a service position and the "minimum wage" workers should keep this in mind.

If you think you can do beter job-wise then move on. If you stay at Bob's then do the job without whining ...

and preferably without smoking ... obviously they pay enough so the workers can buy cigarettes!

Actually I agree with Schoct. Not about the furniture part but to show up on a Friday night 5 minutes before closing is about as thoughtless as it gets.

There is no way to get a truck loaded and paperwork done in 5 minutes and people have families to get home to. It sounds like you didn't plan very well and then weren't happy that they weren't like surrreeee I'll stay at my minimum wage job an extra 15 minutes and not get paid just so you can have your furniture.

Customer service works both ways! Do I approve of their handling of the situation, no but you need to look at yours also.

Shoct is mad because the Captain is obviously a relative of his or something. Dude you should go work at Bob's you'll fit right in!!

I actually worked at a Bob's Store for about 9 months. What a mistake!!

I grew up in the business and if my late father knew how this business operated - his head would spin. The quality (actually, lack there of) of the furniture is reflective in the quality of the people they employee. I left and chalked it up to a bad learning experience. I also removed the stint from my resume as I am embarrassed of the time there.

You can get product or great price - not both - take your pick. "Pure value" furniture is disposible furniture. You'll have to replace it 3-4x over the normal lifespan of a better piece of furniture. The strength of ths business is its' advertising to average joe-lunch-bucket.

Don't forget the ending tagline in tghe commercials,.... "BUSTED" - how appropriate

Wow, I am really surprised that people are a bit testy when they have some customer showing up when there is 5 minutes left of the workday- on a Friday too. That's a *** move because you show up knowing you are not going to conclude your pickup within 5 minutes and you'll use "the customer is always right" to justify your one way attitude.

Grow a set. If you felt so threatened by the store Captain, why did you stick around? You say you felt threatened enough to call the police to escort you out- what about while you were there?

Grow up and have a little common courtesy because after driving as far as you did, I'm sure you weren't the most pleasant person to deal with either. As far as the furniture- you get what you pay for.